Great Lakes Whitefish with Tomato Basil Compote
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless and skinless lake whitefish fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Season fillets with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add fish and cook on both sides until light golden, about 6-8 minutes total.
- Remove from heat and set aside, in warm oven or covered with foil.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add butter to skillet.
- When hot, add thyme, shallots, and garlic; sauté 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, fresh basil, and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes total.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange compote over or under warm fish fillets and serve.